There once was a time where I would avoid snacks all together because I was afraid of running the risk of getting myself into a tricky trigger situation leading to a possible binge. However, I have now come to learn that having snacks actually helps prevent me from bingeing later on…probably because it keeps me from entering the danger zone of being overly hungry! I don’t know about you, but during the Summer I often eat at later hours, have more events that throw off my schedule, travel more, and just do more spontaneous things than I might do during say, the Winter. So making sure I have a snack somewhere in my day can really help me to regulate things.
I like to keep my snacks simple, but tasty and in the Summertime, that is definitely key to snacking success. I have found that the combination of items that I put together really helps to keep things exciting/delicious and also help me to feel satisfied and just the right amount of full. So that I avoid the classic energy spike and crash, I feel best when having a healthy mix of some protein, carbs and oftentimes some good fats. Here are some of my favorites (many of them slight derivations on classics). They are pretty simple and can be changed/altered into a ton of different things to suit your life/preferences!
1. Single serving of plain Greek Yogurt with sprinkle of nuts and a drizzle of honey (or add some fresh or frozen fruit)
2. Green apple with a slice of cheddar cheese
3. Whole wheat crackers & carrots with hummus
4. Ants on a log (celery w/ peanut butter and raisins)
5. Watermelon! (very refreshing and hydrating at the same time)
6. Low fat cottage cheese with sprinkle of sunflower seeds (weird sounding, but great combo)
7. Mini-bag of healthy microwaveable popcorn (lots of tummy filling fiber!)
8. Grapes and a handful of favorite nuts
9. Small frozen yogurt with strawberries and a few walnuts
10. Mini-pretzels dipped in a spoonful of peanut butter or with laughing cow cheese
11. Homemade/revamped trail mix or GORP (“Good Old Raisins and Peanuts): I like making my own trail mix so that I have exactly the right combination of things that I like—this prevents me from eating things mindlessly that I don’t really want. My fave: Roasted almonds, walnut pieces, dried cherries and cranberries, mini dark chocolate chips and yogurt covered raisins. *I put them in plastic baggies with a healthy serving in each. It’s great to throw in your bag and take with you wherever/whenever!
12. Small fruit/yogurt smoothie with soy or whey protein (You can either find buy a smoothie, or it is easy to make on your own! Stock up on some frozen fruit from the supermarket and add your favorites to some plain yogurt, add some honey or agave nectar and it’s delish!)
What are your thoughts on snacking? Any good suggestions or other snack ideas? What is your FAVORITE snack? –Morgan
For new Food- and Body-Sanity Tips of the Day, every day, follow HlthyGrl on Twitter!